University of Bristol Trans-Continental Expedition 1960-61
Mumbai, India, November 2000
"Dear Friends, ...As a young student of IX standard in Satara and visiting Pusegaon on the week ends I had watched on three/four occasions the young students from U.K. for a short while. I was too young (13 years) to have any interface with them and observed them taking a photograph or two and had read the map on the hood of their vehicle showing the road from Bristol UK to Maharashtra......."
D.N. Jadhav, Indian Police Service - D.N Jadhav retired in 2008 after rising to become Deputy Commissioner and IG Mumbai - Editor 2009]

October 1960 The University of Bristol Trans-Continental Expedition 1960 - 61 arrived in India after six weeks driving across Europe and the Middle East. Six graduates each with different study tasks were guests for two months in the small village of Pusegaon on the Deccan plateau about 131 miles [210 kms] in a straight line south east of Mumbai [then known as Bombay]. The Pusegaon population was around 2,500 and the team was soon known to the entire village. Malcolm McKernan wrote newspaper features. Donald Pilton was the medical officer. Don worked alongside the local doctor. Peter Krinks a geographer had made the first link with the village via the Ghokale Institute of Politics and Economics in Pune [then known as Poona]. Peter worked with Roger Tutt who had studied economics. Tony Morrison was photographer and film-maker while Mark Howell was the engineer who kept the vehicles going.

Late 1998 - Almost forty years later Dhananjay Jadhav, who was a schoolboy in 1960 had risen through the ranks of the Indian Police Service to become Commissioner and Special IG in Mumbai. One day in Pusegaon he was talking with his son Ajay and trying to describe what life had been like in the village. He recalled earth roads, intermittent electricity, no running water, just one small school and frequent problems with the harvests. Dhananjay also remembered the university team and wondered what had become of their studies, their films and photographs. Dhananjay decided to write to the Registrar at the university and a letter was published in the university alumni magazine 'Nonesuch' no direct connection with Nonesuch Expeditions except by the name 'Nonesuch' usthe The flower of Bristol. -Dhananjay Jadhav explained..."'I am very interested in receiving copies of any films or reports that were made. Village life is now very different from those days"

March 1999 - Miles Stevenson from the university's development office located Tony Morrison through the Alumni database. Tony then wrote to Dhananjay Jadhav. An initial exchange of letters grew to a folder of correspondence, photographs and the plan for a return to Pusegaon. Dhananjay on behalf of other citizens of Pusegaon sent an informal invitation to the team . "Come as soon as you can and please bring your wives". .None had been back to the village in the forty years and several of the team had retired from their various professions. Roger and Tony met in London in January 2000 and concluded that November was the best time for a visit. Of the original six only three could make the 'return' and on 20th November 2001 Roger and Gwen [also a Bristol graduate] with Tony and Marion left London for Mumbai. .At midnight in Sahar International airport they met Peter and Vera who had just arrived from Sydney, Australia where they live. The six spent one day in Mumbai to rest and enjoy some gentle sightseeing, before the 'official' Reunion 2000. The folowing day a car and driver took them on the six hour journey to Satara, the nearest town to Pusegaon with an hotel.

In 1960 the team had been given lodging in Government Bungalows in Koregaon and Aundh, small villages close to Pusegaon. The team's two Austin four wheel drive 'Gipsies' were a familiar sight on the connecting 'routes' - paved roads did not exist. Visits to Koregaon and Aundh were added to the Return itinerary.



The text and most of the images are © Copyright
For any commercial use please contact